About The New York Equity Coalition
What we stand for.
The coalition originally came together in 2016 with a shared belief that the Every Student Succeeds Act, which replaced No Child Left Behind, presents a critical opportunity to improve New York’s education system – a system riven by massive systemic inequities in access, opportunity and performance, especially for students of color, low-income students, students with disabilities, and English Language Learners.
ESSA gives states considerable flexibility to craft their own accountability systems — in the process asking states to make crucial decisions about what it means to be a successful school, what rate of academic progress is acceptable, and what to do when schools are not meeting our expectations.
The coalition has broadened its focus to include other education equity issues that contribute to the gaps in access and opportunity that hold too many students back from a bright future and from the state achieving its economic potential.
Meet the Coalition Members
- Buffalo Center for Arts and Technology
- Buffalo Urban League
- The Business Council of New York State
- Brooklyn YWCA
- CAO Better Schools Better Neighborhoods
- Capital Region Chamber
- Committee for Hispanic Children & Families
- Democrats for Education Reform-NY
- District-Parent Coordinating Council of Buffalo
- Educators for Excellence
- EPIC-Every Person Influences Children
- Hispanic Federation
- Ibero American Action League
- NY Urban League
- Open Buffalo
- Otsego County Chamber of Commerce
- Public Policy Institute of New York State
- Read Alliance
- Say Yes to Education – Buffalo
- Turnaround for Children
- United Way of New York City
- Urban League of Long Island
- Urban League of Rochester (ULR)
- Urban League of Westchester County